Decisions regarding inclement weather are not easy. Everyone’s safety is always our number one priority.
The following inclement weather guidelines are in effect for all Roanoke City Public Schools’ (RCPS) employees for the 2014-15 school year:
Weather announcements: Please tune to your local radio and television stations for the announcement. The announcement will also be posted on the Division's website (http://roanokeph.ss7.sharpschool.com/), Facebook page (www.facebook.com/RoanokeCityPublicSchools), and Twitter (twitter.com/RoanokeSchools) and on the Inclement Weather Hotline at 853-2006.
School closings: If schools are closed for the day because of inclement weather, an announcement will be made and school-based employees do not report for work. Every effort will be made to make the announcement by
5:30 a.m. Employees in Maintenance and Building Operations and those located at Central Office report for work and arrive as soon as possible depending on safe travel conditions.
Important Note: The Administration reserves the right to have teachers work with students after school in preparation for standardized tests when there has been an excessive number of closings due to inclement weather.
Delayed openings: If a decision is made to open schools late, the announcement will be made by 6:00 a.m. Again, tune to your local radio and television stations and be alert to changing weather conditions that may require a closing announcement after 6:00 a.m. If a decision is made to delay opening because of inclement weather, school employees are to report to work two hours after their normally scheduled time. Only those employees who are required to maintain essential or emergency services (including Central Office staff) will report to work on time and/or arrive as soon as possible depending on safe travel conditions.
Important note: Principals are responsible for making arrangements for minimal coverage to receive children who may be dropped off early by their parents/guardians.
Early closings: If a decision is made to close schools early because of inclement weather, all school-based personnel may leave 30 minutes after students depart. All principals are to wait until they receive the “All Clear” from Transportation before they leave the building. Announcement of an early closing will be made by telephone to schools by the Office for Teaching and Learning and to the media by the Community Relations Department. Twelve-month employees and non-school-based personnel should remain at their work site for the normal work day unless specific instructions are provided from my office concerning an earlier dismissal time.
- Delayed opening will be reported to the broadcast media by Community Relations.
- NO half-day REACH Preschool AM or PM classes on days with delayed openings.
- No "zero" period at the high schools.
- No AM Governor's School.
- ROTEC will coordinate with the high schools.
- Check email for any messages from Central Office personnel.
- Principals should call Transportation to discuss whether or not their Field Trips scheduled that day can proceed.
- If a decision is made to delay opening because of inclement weather, essential services (which includes central office staff) will report to work on time and/or arrive as soon as possible depending on safe travel conditions.
Early Closings (due to weather) - All schools will be called by the Office for Teaching and Learning and an email will be sent. Rapid Notification to parents will be addressed by Community Relations.
- No PM Reach Classes - The PM REACH teachers will contact parents to inform them that there will be no pick up for PM REACH program.
- ROTEC will coordinate an early dismissal with the High Schools.
- All RCPS after school activities (21st Century, Adult Education, Title I, PTA meetings, sports, etc.) are cancelled.
- Magic Place (on-site daycare program) remains open unless the school is contacted and told otherwise.
- Off-site programs (West End Center, Presbyterian Center, Boys and Girls Club, etc.) usually remain open unless the school is contacted and told otherwise. If the site is closed, be sure to keep the students at school and call their parents.
- All Principals are to wait until they receive the "All Clear" from Transportation before they leave the building.
- All RCPS Professional Development activities are canceled.
- All essential services (which includes central office staff) should remain at their work site for the normal work day unless specific instructions are provided from the Superintendent's office concerning an earlier dismissal time.